Plex and Kodi, when combined, provide an excellent streaming experience. Using the Plex media server, you can easily share the videos and music stored on your local storage with multiple devices. Kodi has a beautiful and highly customizable interface, smooth navigation and excellent playback of content. By installing the PlexKodiConnect add-on, you enjoy the best from those two applications combined. Kodi works better as a client then the native Plex app, and you don’t need to exit Kodi to watch content from your Plex library.
Here are the instructions on how to install PlexKodiConnect:
- Download the following ZIP file
- Launch Kodi
- Click the Settings icon
- Click System settings
- Hover over Add-ons
- Click Unknown source to enable it (if you didn’t do it already)
- Go back to the Kodi home page
- Click Add-ons
- Click the Add-on browser icon
- Click Install from zip file
- Locate the ZIP file that you downloaded and click on it
- Click Install from repository
- Click PlexKodiConnect addons
- Click Video add-ons
- Click PlexKodiConnect
- Click Install
- Wait till you see Add-on installed message
- After the add-on was installed, click PlexKodiConnect
- Write the code that appears in the popup
- In the browser go to https://plex.tv/link (you need first to login to your account)
- Enter the code and click Link
- Finish configuring the add-on by choosing options in the popup
What does PlexKodiConnect do?
PlexKodiConnect stores all the metadata of the Plex media server in the database of Kodi. This means that every Kodi add-on and skin function as usual, except they use the data that was copied from the Plex media server. When you play a video, there is a pointer to the video location in the Plex media server, and the video will be played from there. Moreover, this add-on has all the options of a regular Plex client.
You can also learn more and read about Kodi vs Plex.
That’s all, now you can easily stream from the Plex media server to Kodi. Enjoy it!