You can run Kodi on many devices, and it works great, but sometimes you may prefer a portable Kodi, which you can take and run everywhere. The solution is to use a USB flash drive to install Kodi with all your favorite add-ons and the skin you prefer. This solution is much cheaper and more flexible than buying an additional device. However, installing a portable version of Kodi requires a Windows machine, and you can plug in the portable Kodi only on Windows machines.
First, make sure the USB flash drive is formatted. If it isn’t formatted, here is how to format it:
- Insert a USB flash drive into a USB port
- Open File Explorer
- Click on This PC in the left pane
- Under the Devices and drives section, right-click the USB flash drive and select Format…
- Click Start
- Click OK to confirm the formatting
Here are the instructions on how to install Kodi on a USB flash drive:
- Click the URL https://kodi.tv/download for the download page of Kodi
- Scroll down and click the Windows icon
- Click INSTALLER (64BIT). Kodi installation file will be downloaded to your computer
- Once the download is finished click on the file to execute it
- On the welcome screen, click Next
- On the license agreement screen, click I agree
- On the choose components screen, leave all the components checked and click Next
- On the choose install location screen, click Browse and select the USB flash drive and then click Next
- Check Do not create shortcuts and click Install
- Wait for the installation to finish and click Finish. Don’t run Kodi after the installation is completed.
- Go to the folder where the Kodi was installed on the USB flash drive and locate the kodi.exe file. Right-click the file and select Create shortcut
- Move the shortcut file to the root folder of the USB flash drive
- Right-click on the shortcut file and select Properties
- In the Target field, add -p where the text of the field ends. Don’t forget to add a space between the end of the text and -p
- Click OK
Now you can run Kodi by clicking the shortcut file on the USB flash drive on any Windows machine. You only need to plug in the drive to your preferred Windows machine.
After installing Kodi on your USB flash drive the next step will be to install some add-ons, so you can start watching your favorite movies and TV shows.
Follow our updated list of add-ons for Kodi here.